I spent the weekend in Tampa, helping one of my fabulous girlfriends usher in her 30th birthday. In total, there were four of use there, four friends whose bond started more than a decade ago, and who are ready, when necessary, to fall in-line whenever it’s time to be each others cheerleaders.
This weekend was special for a number of reasons – but the most special feeling that I am taking away is LOVE. Being there to celebrate my friend’s 30th in style; being there to rally each other through life’s challenges; being there to build each other up about the power that we all have in this lifetime – that’s love.
On the plane ride home, I started thinking about my 30th birthday, and what I want to experience on that day…of course, as you get closer and closer to the big 3-0, the question posed to you time and time again is “what are you going to do for your 30th?” – so here, with my 7 regular readers as witnesses, I will declare that for my 30th birthday I just want to feel love. I want to wake up with it, slip it on, walk around in it, and dab some on throughout the day. I want to bring 30 in, the way I was bought into this world – with love.
DS Download: Spending this weekend with my girlfriends was a reminder that love is what this life is really all about – that is something that I know for sure, in addition to the following:
• 30 is not the new 20 – and judging by some of the 20 years olds that I saw at the club this weekend, that’s OK, it might not be the new 20, but it is the new absolutely fabulous
• There is nothing in the world that a sunny day, with the sun on your face, wind at your back, glass of white wine, cruising on the open water can’t cure…at least for a moment
• Positivity is something that we all have to fight for
• If my friend cries, I will cry too
• Inspiration is right up there with love – and if your friends inspire you, on a constant basis, then you are TRULY blessed
• Melanin can make black people overly confident in the sun, but we can and will burn – ouch!
• Life is beautiful, and it’s a blessing everyday that we’re here
• Digital cameras have made me lazy, I know that I have at least one amazing picture that would capture my weekend…I will do my best to transfer it off of my camera, and post it this evening, check back soon!